For me this RTX was....different. Unlike the past two years where I was incredibly sad the fun had ended, I was much more meditative afterwards and my mindset shifted towards being happy for what had been. This year challenged me in ways I didn't think it would. I was put out of my element quite a bit, like staying in a real hotel, eating in real restaurants, being on a panel, attending the con as a community admin, and getting different forms of attention I wasn't used to. I think I handled it alright? Where I made a fool of myself I at least entertained some people maybe real marble countertops in a hotel??
Anyway a short summary is that I had lots of fun with (but probably annoyed the heck outta) @Kikyobutt and buddy @teFlyingNinj , I met a lot of people from the online community irl for the first time (including people from the Rec Room and RT World) which is always a magical moment, got to see my spectacular OCC people, was on a panel, found a really neat store with Japanese imported art books in the outskirts of town (spent 2 hours looking through their merch), and cosplayed as Raven again. I accidentally left my perfect school girl skirt behind while packing, making me improvise and use a black tank top instead. @Treanomaly appropriately dubbed me "tank ass".
Speaking of which....
I want to show off a thing.
The most significant change to the cosplay was the addition of her weapon. Last year I tried something new and made props for the first time, making her mask out of cardboard and epoxy. This year I wanted to push myself a little further and make her sword and sheath, and with moving parts!
My original plan was to just make it an extendable blade but, after a suggestion from @runick00 , I decided to make the cylinder spinny and have it contain interchangeable blades simulating the change in dust colors.
First step: Sketch, simplification, determining measurements (mostly so it would fit in my suitcase)
I took apart two spinners for the ball bearings for spinability, worked out great
Next: Creating the cylinder, the most tedious work. Used a poster tube, shish kebab sticks, cardboard, tried the yoga mat (prefer cardboard), and lots of spackle
Getting the frame together: I had my uncle put the wooden frame together since he knows basic carpentry
Turning a frame into a box: More cardboard and lots of wood glue
Detailing: I made a "raiser" to hide magnets in the top. The idea was to get the hilt to stick to the top of the sheath magnetically when not in use, but I severely overestimated the strength of the magnets ;-; Add the doohickies on the side, which was foam wrapped in packaging tape (packaging tape is holy tape)
Epoxy!: Shiny, but more importantly it strengthens the whole body so it's not just flimsy cardboard
But also shiny
Paint: The black is a enamel spray paint, which I touched once or twice accidentally while wet (shoot me), the silver is basic acrylic paint. I then sprayed it with 2 or 3 coats of a matte sealant, photo taken directly after the last coat....3 hours before my flight
Last photo courtesy of Ryan
The sheath did get some bumps and bruises, but overall for my second prop I'd say not too shabby
I didn't get enough time to make the feathers to pass out but besides that, all and all, a great RTX~